Saturday, July 21, 2012

Building A Sanctuary


"Few things we can do in this world are so well worth doing as the making of a beautiful and happy home. He who does this builds a sanctuary for God and opens a fountain of blessing for men."- J.R. Miller


One of the reasons I wanted to get back into blogging, is hopefully to restore the joy in homemaking.  The past year, I have found myself getting into this rut of only doing the bare minimum I could get away with and the end result lately has been stress.  There's been no planning, no organizing and no focus.   I need to get back to the idea that as a homemaker, my job is to create a welcoming sanctuary for all who enter, especially my husband.  He doesn't have the greatest job in the world, so it would be nice for him to come home after a stressful time at work and have a quiet and comfortable place to rest where the presence of the Lord is always there and always felt.

When I think about homemaking that way, it's easier for me to put aside my selfish desires and work hard at creating the right atmosphere.  This is my job.  I need to be as committed to this job as I was when I had a paying gig.  Just because I "work from home" now,  it doesn't give me an excuse to shirk my duties and run off to the next fun thing just because I can.  

When I worked outside of the home, I had a strict schedule, a detailed calendar, a fantastic (if I do say so myself) organizational system of all the jobs I had going on at the moment and I could tell you exactly what project was working on and every single detail that it had.  Now, I couldn't even tell you the contents of my refrigerator if you asked me and don't even ask if my husband has a clean dress shirt to wear for a party we are attending  next week.  I need to use the organizational talents that the Lord has given me and use them to build a sanctuary. I've been home for three and a half years now and it's time for me to get serious about it.  

I love the quote I posted above because  it puts things into perspective for me.  My purpose in being a homemaker and creating a beautiful space is to glorify God alone and that will overflow into a peaceful sanctuary for my husband, me and whoever else enters our home.  This week, I will work to the glory of God and get back on track and treat my job at home as the best job on the planet, because it is!!

I'll be meditating on this verse as I create my sanctuary this week:
"And whatever you, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."- Colossians 3:17





1 comment:

  1. nice post thanks for sharing...i found you thrue other followers..looking for to visit more and read your posts...blessings across the miles

    ReplyDelete